(1) World Health Organization. Vaccines against influenza WHO position paper – November 2012. Wkly EpidemiolRec. 2012;47(87):461-76.
(2) Ministry of Health. Immunisation handbook 2020 [Internet]. Wellington: Ministry of Health; 2020[updated 2021 March 15; cited 2021 March 15]. Available from:https://www.health.govt.nz/ publication/immunisation-handbook-2020
(3) Andrew MK, Shinde V, Ye L,Hatchette T, Haguinet F, Dos Santos G, et al. The importance of frailty in the assessment of influenza vaccine effectiveness against influenza-related hospitalization in elderly people. J Infect Dis.2017;216(4):405-14.
(4) Beyer WEP, McElhaney J,Smith DJ, Monto AS, Nguyen-Van-Tam JS,Osterhaus AD. Cochrane re-arranged: Support for policies to vaccinate elderly people against influenza. Vaccine. 2013;31(50):6030-3.
(5) Darvishian M, van denHeuvel ER, Bissielo A, Castilla J, Cohen C, Englund H, et al. Effectiveness of seasonal influenza vaccination in community-dwelling elderly people: An individual participant data meta-analysisof test-negative design case-control studies. Lancet Respir Med. 2017;5(3):200-11.
(6) Demicheli V, Jefferson T, Di Pietrantonj C, Ferroni E, Thorning S, Thomas Roger E, et al. Vaccines for preventing influenza in the elderly. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018(2):Art.No.:CD004876.
(7) Casado I, Domínguez A,Toledo D, Chamorro J, Force L, Soldevila N,et al. Effect of influenza vaccination on the prognosis of hospitalized influenza patients. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2016;15(3):425-32.
(8) Mosnier A, Daviaud I, Caini S, Berche H, Mansuy J-M, van der Werf S, et al. Does seasonal vaccination affect the clinical presentation of influenza among the elderly? A cross-sectional analysis in the outpatient setting in France,2003–2014. Vaccine. 2017;35(16):2076-83.
(9) MacIntyre CR, Mahimbo A, Moa AM, Barnes M. Influenza vaccine as a coronary intervention for prevention of myocardial infarction. Heart.2016;102(24):1953-6
(10) Heo JY, Song JY, Noh JY,Choi MJ, Yoon JG, Lee SN, et al. Effects of influenza immunization on pneumonia in the elderly. Hum Vaccin Immunother.2018;14(3):744-9.
(11) Lee W-J, Chen L-K, Tang G-J, Lan T-Y. The impact of influenza vaccination on hospitalizations and mortality among frail older people. J Am Med Dir Assoc.2014;15(4):256-60.
(12) Cruzeta APS, SchneiderI JC, Traebert J. Impact of seasonality and annual immunization of elderly people upon influenza-related hospitalization rates. Int J Infect Dis. 2013;17(12):e1194-e7.
(13) Brummel NE, Balas MC, Morandi A, Ferrante LE, Gill TM, Ely EW. Understanding and reducing disability in older adults following critical illness. Crit Care Med. 2015;43(6):1265-75.
(14) Lin H-C, Chiu H-F, Ho S-C, Yang C-Y. Association of influenza vaccination and reduced risk of stroke hospitalization among the elderly: A population-based case-control study. Int J Environ Res Public Health.2014;11(4):3639.
(15) Cheng AC, Macartney KK, Waterer GW, Kotsimbos T, Kelly PM, Blyth CC,et al. Repeated vaccination does not appear to impact upon influenza vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization with confirmed influenza. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;64(11):1564-72.
(16) Chiang M-H, Wu H-H, ShihC-J, Chen Y-T, Kuo S-C, Chen T-L. Association between influenza vaccination and reduced risks of major adverse cardiovascular events in elderly patients. Am Heart J. 2017;193(Nov):1-7.
(17) Fang Y-A, Chen C-I, LiuJ-C, Sung L-C. Influenza vaccination reduces hospitalization for heart failure in elderly patients with chronic kidney disease: A population-based cohort study. Acta Cardiol Sin. 2016;32(3):290-8.
(18) Chen C-I, Kao P-F, Wu M-Y, Fang Y-A, Miser JS, Liu J-C, et al. Influenza vaccination is associated with lower risk of acute coronary syndrome in elderly patients with chronic kidney disease. Medicine. 2016;95(5):e2588.
(19) Sung L-C, Chen C-I, Fang Y -A, Lai C-H, Hsu Y-P, Cheng T-H, et al. Influenza vaccination reduces hospitalization for acute coronary syndrome in elderly patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A population-based cohort study. Vaccine. 2014;32(30):3843-9.
(20) Siriwardena AN, Gwini SM, Coupland CAC. Influenza vaccination, pneumococcal vaccination and risk of acute myocardial infarction: Matched case-control study. Can Med Assoc J. 2010;182(15):1617-23.
(21) Aguado TM, Barratt J, Beard JR, Blomberg BB, Chen WH, Hickling J, et al. Report on WHO meeting on immunization in older adults: Geneva, Switzerland,22–23 March 2017. Vaccine. 2018;36(7):921-31.
(22) Goronzy JJ, Weyand CM. Understanding immunosenescence to improve responses to vaccines. Nat Immunol. 2013;14(5):428-36.
(23) Loubet P, Loulergue P, Galtier F, Launay O. Seasonal influenza vaccination o fhigh-risk adults. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2016;15(12):1507-18.
(24) Pera A, Campos C, López N, Hassouneh F, Alonso C, Tarazona R, et al.Immunosenescence: Implications for response to infection and vaccination in older people. Maturitas. 2015;82(1):50-5.
(25) Simonsen L, Fukuda K, Schonberger LB, Cox NJ. The impact of influenza epidemics on hospitalizations. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;181(3):831-7.
(26) Thompson WW, Shay DK, Weintraub E, et al. Mortality associated with influenza and respiratory syncytial virus in the United States. JAMA.2003;289(2):179-86.
(27) Mullooly JP, Bridges CB, Thompson WW, Chen J, Weintraub E, Jackson LA,et al. Influenza- and RSV-associated hospitalizations among adults. Vaccine.2007;25(5):846-55.
(28) Mertz D, Kim TH, Johnstone J, Lam PP, Science M, Kuster SP, et al. Populations at risk for severe or complicated influenza illness: Systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2013;347:f5061.
(29) McElhaney JE, Zhou X, Talbot HK, Soethout E, Bleackley RC, Granville DJ, et al. The unmet need in the elderly: How immunosenescence, CMV infection, co-morbidities and frailty are a challenge for the development of more effective influenza vaccines. Vaccine. 2012;30(12):2060-7.
(30) Fleming DM, Elliot AJ. The impact of influenza on the health and health care utilisation of elderly people. Vaccine. 2005;23(Suppl 1):S1-9.
(31) Kuster SP, Tuite AR, Kwong JC, McGeer A, the Toronto Invasive Bacterial Diseases N, Fisman DN. Evaluation of coseasonality of influenza and invasive pneumococcal disease: Results from prospective surveillance. PLoS Med.2011;8(6):e1001042.
(32) Barnes M, Heywood AE, Mahimbo A, Rahman B, Newall AT, Macintyre CR. Acute myocardial infarction and influenza: A meta-analysis of case-control studies. Heart. 2015;101(21):1738-47.
(33) Kwong JC, Schwartz KL, Campitelli MA, Chung H, Crowcroft NS, Karnauchow T, et al. Acute myocardial infarction after laboratory-confirmed influenza infection. N Engl J Med. 2018;378(4):345- 53.
(34) Udell JA, Zawi R, Bhatt DL, et al. Association between influenza vaccination and cardiovascular outcomes in high-risk patients: A meta-analysis.JAMA. 2013;310(16):1711-20.
(35) Vamos EP, Pape UJ, Curcin V, Harris MJ, Valabhji J, Majeed A, et al. Effectiveness of the influenza vaccine in preventing admission to hospital and death in people with type 2 diabetes. CMAJ. 2016;188(14):E342-E51.
(36) Liu J-C, Wang T-J, SungL-C, Kao P-F, Yang T-Y, Hao W-R, et al. Influenza vaccination reduces hemorrhagic stroke risk in patients with atrial fibrillation: A population-based cohort study. Int J Cardiol. 2017;232:315-23.
(37) Vasileiou E, Sheikh A, Butler C, El Ferkh K, von Wissmann B, McMenamin J,et al. Effectiveness of influenza vaccines in asthma: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;65(8):1388- 95.
(38) Barker WH, Borisute H, CoxC. A study of the impact of influenza on the functional status of frail older people. Arch Intern Med. 1998;158(6):645- 50.
(39) Liu IF, Huang C-C, ChanW-L, Huang P-H, Chung C-M, Lin S-J, et al. Effects of annual influenza vaccination on mortality and hospitalization in elderly patients with ischemic heart disease: A nationwide population-based study. Prev Med. 2012;54(6):431-3.
(40) Huang C-L, Nguyen PA, KuoP-l, Iqbal U, Hsu Y-HE, Jian W-S. Influenzavaccination and reduction in risk of ischemic heart disease among chronic obstructive pulmonary elderly. Comput Methods Programs Biomed.2013;111(2):507-11.
(41) Modin D, Jorgensen ME,Gislason G, Jensen JS, Kober L, Claggett B, etal. Influenza vaccine in heart failure: Cumulative number of vaccinations, frequency, timing, and survival: A Danish nationwide cohort study. Circulation.2019;139(5):575-86.
(42) Huang HH, Chen SJ, ChaoTF, Liu CJ, Chen TJ, Chou P, et al. Influenza vaccination and risk of respiratory failure in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A nationwide population-based case-cohort study.J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2019;52(1):22-9.
(43) Torner N, Navas E, Soldevila N, Toledo D, Navarro G, Morillo A, et al. Costs associated with influenza-related hospitalization in the elderly. HumVaccin Immunother. 2017;13(2):412-6.
(44) Cromer D, van Hoek AJ, Jit M, Edmunds WJ, Fleming D, Miller E. The burden of influenza in England by age and clinical risk group: A statistical analysis to inform vaccine policy. J Infect. 2014;68(4):363-71.
(45) Turner N, Pierse N, Bissielo A, Huang QS, Radke S, Baker M, et al. Effectiveness of seasonal trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine in preventing influenza hospitalisations and primary care visits in Auckland, New Zealand, in 2013. Euro Surveill. 2014;19(34):20884.
(46) Gill TM, Allore HG, Holford TR, Guo Z. Hospitalization, restricted activity, and the development of disability among older persons. JAMA. 2004;292(17):2115-24.
(47) Bagshaw SM, Stelfox HT,McDermid RC, Rolfson DB, Tsuyuki RT, Baig N,et al. Association between frailty and short- and long-term outcomes among critically ill patients: A multicentre prospective cohort study. Can Med AssocJ. 2014;186(2):E95-E102.
(48) Sacanella E, Pérez-Castejón JM, Nicolás JM, Masanés F, Navarro M, Castro P, et al. Functional status and quality of life 12 months after discharge from a medical ICU in healthy elderly patients: A prospective observational study. Crit Care. 2011;15(2):R105.
(49) Khouli H, Astua, A. ,Dombrowski, W. , Ahmad, F., Homel, P. , Shapiro, J., Singh, J. , Nallamothu, R. , Mahbub, H. , Eden, E. & Delfiner, J. Changesin health-related quality of life and factors predicting long-term outcomes in older adults admitted to intensive care units. Crit Care Med. 2011;39(4):731-7.
(50) Beran J, Reynales H, Poder A, Yu CY, Pitisuttithum P, Yuan LL, et al. Prevention of influenza during mismatched seasons in older adults with anMF59-adjuvanted quadrivalent influenza vaccine: a randomised, controlled, multicentre, phase 3 efficacy study. The Lancet. Infectious diseases. 2021;21(7):1027-1037
(51) Sah P, Medlock J,Fitzpatrick MC, Singer BH, Galvani AP. Optimizing the impact of low-efficacy influenza vaccines. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.2018;115(20):5151-6.
(52) Moa AM, Chughtai AA, Muscatello DJ, Turner RM, MacIntyre CR. Immunogenicity and safety of inactivated quadrivalent influenza vaccine inadults: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Vaccine. 2016;34(35):4092-102.
(53) Treanor JT, Albano FR, Sawlwin DC, Graves Jones A, Airey J, Formica N, et al. Immunogenicity and safety of a quadrivalent inactivated influenza vaccine compared with two trivalent inactivated influenza vaccines containing alternate B strains in adults: A phase 3, randomized noninferiority study. Vaccine.2017;35(15):1856-64.
(54) Medsafe. Data sheet –Fluad Quad [Internet]. Wellington: New Zealand Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Authority; 2020 [updated 2020 December 11;cited 2021 February 3]. Available from: https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/Datasheet/f/FluadQuadinj.pdf
(55) Feng S, Fowlkes AL,Steffens A, Finelli L, Cowling BJ. Assessment of virus interference in a test-negative Study of influenza vaccine effectiveness. Epidemiology. 2017;28(4):514-24.
(56) Skowronski DM, Zou M, Clarke Q, Chambers C, Dickinson JA, Sabaiduc S, et al. Influenza vaccine does not increase the risk of coronavirus or other non influenza respiratory viruses: Retrospective analysis from Canada, 2010–2011to 2016–2017. Clin Infect Dis. 2020;71(16):2285-8.
(57) Ragni P, Marino M, Formisano D, Bisaccia E, Scaltriti S,Bedeschi E, et al. Association between exposure to influenza vaccination and COVID-19 diagnosis and outcomes. Vaccines. 2020;8(4):675.
(58) Marin-Hernandez D,Schwartz RE, Nixon DF. Epidemiological evidence for association between higher influenza vaccine uptake in the elderly and lower COVID-19 deaths in Italy. J Med Virol. 2021;93(1):64-5.
(59) Zanettini C, Omar M,Dinalankara W, Imada EL, Colantuoni E,Parmigiani G, et al. Influenza vaccination and COVID19 mortality in the USA.medRxiv. 2020:2020.06.24.20129817.
(60) Domnich A, Arata L, Amicizia D, Puig-Barberà J, Gasparini R, Panatto D. Effectiveness of MF59- adjuvanted seasonal influenza vaccine in the elderly: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Vaccine. 2017;35(4):513-20.
(61) Nicolay U, Heijnen E, Nacci P, Patriarca PA, Leav B. Immunogenicity of aII V3, MF59-adjuvanted seasonal trivalent influenza vaccine, in older adults ≥65 years of age: Meta-analysis of cumulative clinical experience. Int J InfectDis. 2019;85:S1-S9.
(62) Essink B, Fierro C, Rosen J, Figueroa AL, Zhang B, Verhoeven C, et al.Immunogenicity and safety of MF59-adjuvanted quadrivalent influenza vaccinev ersus standard and alternate B strain MF59- adjuvanted trivalent influenza vaccines in older adults. Vaccine. 2020;38(2):242-50.
(63) Lapi F, Marconi E, Simonetti M, Baldo V, Rossi A, Sessa A,et al. Adjuvanted versus nonadjuvanted influenza vaccines and risk of hospitalizations for pneumonia and cerebro/cardiovascular events in the elderly. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2019;18(6):663- 70.
(64) Coleman B, Sanderson R, Haag M, McGovern I. Effectiveness of theMF59-adjuvanted trivalent or quadrivalent seasonal influenza vaccine among adults 65 years of age or older, a systematic review and meta-analysis.Influenza Other Respi Viruses. 2021; 00:1-11
(65) McConeghy KW, Davidson HE, Canaday DH, Han L, Saade E, Mor V, et al.Cluster-randomized Trial of Adjuvanted Versus Nonadjuvanted Trivalent Influenza Vaccine in 823 US Nursing Homes. Clinical Infectious Diseases: an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. 2021;71(11):e4237-e4243
(66) Plans-Rubio P. The vaccination coverage required to establish herd immunity against influenza viruses. Prev Med. 2012;55(1):72-7.
(67) Kim TH. Seasonal influenza and vaccine herd effect. Clin Exp Vaccine Res.2014;3(2):128-32.
(68) Domnich A, Arata L, Amicizia D, Puig-Barberà J, Gasparini R, Panatto D. Effectiveness of MF59- adjuvanted seasonal influenza vaccine in the elderly: Asystematic review and meta-analysis. Vaccine. 2017;35(4):513-20.
(69) Puig-Barbera J, Diez-Domingo J, Varea AB, Chavarri GS, Rodrigo JAL, Hoyos SP, et al. Effectiveness of MF59™-adjuvanted subunit influenza vaccine in preventing hospitalisations for cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease and pneumonia in the elderly. Vaccine.2007;25(42):7313-21.
(70) Pelton SI, Divino V, Shah D, Mould-Quevedo J, DeKoven M, Krishnarajah G, et al. Evaluating the Relative Vaccine Effectiveness of Adjuvanted Trivalent Influenza Vaccine Compared to High-Dose Trivalent and Other Egg-Based Influenza Vaccines among Older Adults in the US during the 2017-2018 Influenza Season. Vaccines. 2020; 8(3):446
(71) Chan TC, Fan-Ngai Hung I, Ka-Hay Luk J, Chu LW, Hon-Wai Chan F. Effectiveness of influenza vaccination in institutionalized older adults: A systematic review. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014;15(3):226.e1-6.