Promoting and supporting influenza immunisation
This website and the national annual influenza promotional campaign is brought to you by The Immunisation Advisory Centre (IMAC) and the National Influenza Strategy Group (NISG).
2019 Flu Kit
Distribution of this year’s Flu Kit to immunisation providers began on 20 March 2019. If you have not received a Flu Kit, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please DON'T contact our 0800 line about the Flu Kit, we are extremely busy with clinical calls during this period.
Please note: An erratum has been published for the Flu Kit Booklet 2019. To view the erratum please click here.
2019 Influenza Immunisation Programme
From 2019, the annual Influenza Immunisation Programme will start from 1 April each year, subject to influenza vaccine being available for distribution from then. In previous years, the programme started as soon as the influenza vaccine became available, generally by early March. The change to a fixed start date of 1 April is intended to ensure that the vaccine remains as effective as possible during the peak incidence of influenza, which in recent years has occurred in late winter.
For further information, refer to the Ministry's policy statement on the annual Influenza Immunisation Programme start date.
When should people be vaccinated?
Now is the best time for people to be vacicnated against influenza, well before the start of the winter season.
- Vaccinate 75% of the population aged 65 years or older against influenza annually
- Improve influenza immunisation coverage for people aged under 65 years with certain medical conditions, and pregnant women
- Improve influenza immunisation uptake for healthcare workers
- 80% of healthcare workers are vaccinated against influenza annually
- Distribute more than 1.2 million influenza vaccine doses annually, i.e. protect more than 25% of the community