> Availability and ordering of vaccines
2023 Ordering vaccines
Needles for 2023 influenza vaccines
Some vaccines are supplied without needles. For more details see influenza.org.nz/vaccines/2023-influenza-vaccines
- AFLURIA QUAD, AFLURIA QUAD JUNIOR and FLUADQUAD are supplied without needles.
- Needles for above vaccines will need to be purchased from suppliers such as EBOS, Amtech or pharmacy wholesalers.
- FLUQUADRI needles (25G x 25mm) are unattached and included separately with the vaccines.
Influenza vaccine ordering is handled by Healthcare Logistics (HCL).
Online (preferred option): www.hcl.co.nz
Fax order form (faxed and emailed orders incur a $10 handling fee): 0508 408 358
Enquiries: Email: Flu@healthcarelogistics.co.nz, or Phone: 0508 425 358
2023 Cost of the influenza vaccine
The vaccines cost $11.00 (excl. GST) per dose. For people eligible for funded influenza vaccine, the vaccine is free (ie, no vaccine cost and no administration service cost to the person). General practices and some pharmacies can claim for the cost of the vaccine and the immunisation benefit for administration of a funded influenza vaccine to an eligible individual via the usual Sector Services process.
Note: Claims can only be made when the vaccine is given during the funded Influenza Immunisation Programme period which is 1 April to 31 December 2023. If given concomitantly with the COVID-19 vaccination, providers can claim both the Immunisation Subsidy and the COVID-19 administration fee.
Influenza vaccine may still be available following the funded period (funded until December 31, 2023), however, all patients will have to pay for it.
2023 Order and delivery charges
- AFLURIA QUAD orders that are less than the minimum quantity as per the table below will incur a $25 small order delivery fee.
- Faxed or emailed orders incur a manual order processing fee of $10 per order.
- FLUQUADRI can only be ordered online from the unfunded vaccine list (even if to be used for funded vaccinations for children aged 6-35 months). The vaccine can also be made available for purchase by people NOT eligible for a 2023 funded influenza vaccination.
- Avoid a FLUQUARI small order delivery fee by ordering either 10 boxes (50 doses) OR order with any other unfunded vaccines.
- FLUQUADRI only orders will incur a small order delivery charge of $45 for 1-4 packs (ie, up to 20 doses) or $25 for 5-9 packs (ie, 24 – 45 doses).
2023 Minimum order requirements
AFLURIA QUAD minimum order quantites
Polystyrene chilly bins
To reduce wastage when ordering, please consider your expected usage. You willbe asked to order in full chilly bin quantities for initial orders of AFLURIA QUAD.
Influenza vaccine stock damaged in transit
Influenza vaccine damaged in transit may be returned to Healthcare Logistics for destruction. Please contact Healthcare Logistics 0508 425 358 before returning.
Shelf life of influenza vaccines
All influenza vaccines are marked with an expiry date that should be checked before vaccine administration.
Influenza vaccines must be stored between +2°C and +8°C at all times. They must not be frozen.
Temperature-monitored chilly bins must be used if vaccines are temporarily stored outside the vaccine refrigerator or being transported. Refer to the National Standards for Vaccine Storage and Transportation for Immunisation Providers 2017 (2nd Edition) (available at www.health.govt.nz/coldchain).
If vaccines have been stored outside the required temperature range, quarantine the vaccines and contact your Immunisation/Cold Chain Coordinator.
Temperature logging devices
A temperature logging device and instructions may be included with your order.
Refunds for unused/expired funded 2023 influenza vaccine
- Please ensure you continue to have influenza vaccine stock available until 31 December for those who are eligible for influenza vaccination.
- One refund will be available for a total of 10 doses of unused AFLURIA QUAD and/or one dose of unused AFLURIA QUAD JUNIOR from any one account. To be eligible for a refund, the unused stock must be returned prior to 31 January 2024. Contact Healthcare Logistics on 0508 425 358 to request a Return Authorisation.