All about the 2017 Influenza Season
2017 key messages
- Around one in four New Zealanders are infected with influenza or ‘flu’ each year. Many won’t feel sick at all, but can still pass it on to others. Getting an influenza vaccination before winter offers you and others the best protection
- Pregnant women and their babies can suffer serious consequences as a result of influenza. A FREE influenza vaccination during any trimester of the pregnancy reduces this risk
- Older people and those with certain medical conditions are more likely to have medical complications from influenza. A FREE influenza vaccination reduces these risks
- Influenza is a serious illness that can put anyone in hospital or even kill them, including young and healthy people
- Influenza vaccination is safe, effective and cannot give you “the flu”
More than 1.2 million New Zealanders have their influenza vaccination each year. Getting vaccinated each year as early as possible before winter hits gives the best protection.
Thank you for being part of our team
The Ministry of Health and the Immunisation Advisory Centre appreciate all your hard work, and thank you for your role in ensuring New Zealanders are protected from influenza.