(1) Harris J. Influenza occurring in pregnant women: A statistical study of thirteen hundred and fifty cases. JAMA. 1919;72(14):978-80.
(2) Dodds L, McNeill S, Fell D, Allen V, Coombs A, Scott J, et al. Impact of influenza exposure on rates of hospital admissions and physician visits because of respiratory illness among pregnant women. CMAJ. 2007;176(4):463-8.
(3) Dreier JW, Andersen A-MN, Berg-Beckhoff G. Systematic review and meta-analyses: Fever in pregnancy and health impacts in the offspring. Pediatrics. 2014;133(3):e674-88.
(4) Kay AW, Fukuyama J, Aziz N, Dekker CL, Mackey S, Swan GE, et al. Enhanced natural killer-cell and T-cell responses to influenza A virus during pregnancy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111(40):14506-11.
(5) Mosby L, Rasmussen S, Jamieson D. 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) in pregnancy: A systematic review of the literature. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011;205(1):10-8.
(6) Omer SB, Bednarczyk RA, Madhi SA, Klugman KP. Benefits to mother and child of influenza vaccination during pregnancy. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2012;8(1):130-7.
(7) Poehling KA, Edwards KM, Griffin MR, Szilagyi PG, Staat MA, Iwane MK, et al. The burden of influenza in young children, 2004–2009. Pediatrics. 2013;131(2):207-16.
(8) Ruf BR, Knuf M. The burden of seasonal and pandemic influenza in infants and children. Eur J Pediatr. 2014;173(3):265-76.
(9) van Kerkhove MD, Vandemaele KAH, Shinde V, Jaramillo-Gutierrez G, Koukounari A, Donnelly CA, et al. Risk factors for severe outcomes following 2009 influenza A (H1N1) infection: A global pooled analysis. PLoS Med. 2011;8(7):e1001053.
(10) Marshall H, McMillan M, Andrews RM, Macartney K, Edwards K. Vaccines in pregnancy: The dual benefit for pregnant women and infants. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2016;12(4):848-56.
(11) Eick AA, Uyeki TM, Klimov A, Hall H, Reid R, Santosham M, et al. Maternal influenza vaccination and effect on influenza virus infection in young infants. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011;165(2):104-11.
(12) Poehling K, Szilagyi P, Staat M, Snively B, Payne D, Bridges C, et al. Impact of maternal immunization on influenza hospitalizations in infants. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011;204(Suppl 6):S141-8.
(13) World Health Organization. Vaccines against influenza WHO position paper – November 2012. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2012;47(87):461-76.
(14) Bednarczyk RA, Adjaye-Gbewonyo D, Omer SB. Safety of influenza immunization during pregnancy for the fetus and the neonate. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012;207(Suppl 3):S38-46.
(15) Global Advisory Committee on Vaccine Safety. Safety of immunization during pregnancy: A review of the evidence [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2014 [updated 2014; cited 2020 November 6]. Available from: https://www.who.int/ vaccine_safety/publications/safety_pregnancy_ nov2014.pdf?ua=1
(16) Nordin JD, Kharbanda EO, Benitez GV, Nichol K, Lipkind H, Naleway A, et al. Maternal safety of trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine in pregnant women. Obstet Gynecol. 2013;121(3):519-25.
(17) Kharbanda EO, Vazquez-Benitez G, Lipkind H, Naleway A, Lee G, Nordin JD, et al. Inactivated influenza vaccine during pregnancy and risks for adverse obstetric events. Obstet Gynecol. 2013;122(3):659-67.
(18) Polyzos KA, Konstantelias AA, Pitsa CE, Falagas ME. Maternal influenza vaccination and risk for congenital malformations: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Obstet Gynecol. 2015;126(5):1075- 84.
(19) Sheffield JS, Greer LG, Rogers VL, Roberts SW, Lytle H, McIntire DD, et al. Effect of influenza vaccination in the first trimester of pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2012;120(3):532-7.
(20) Regan AK, Moore HC, de Klerk N, Omer SB, Shellam G, Mak DB, et al. Seasonal trivalent influenza vaccination during pregnancy and the incidence of stillbirth: Population-based retrospective cohort study. Clin Infect Dis. 2016;62(10):1221-7.
(21) Zhang C, Wang X, Liu D, Zhang L, Sun X. A systematic review and meta‐analysis of fetal outcomes following the administration of influenza A/H1N1 vaccination during pregnancy. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2018;141(2):141-50.
(22) McMillan M, Porritt K, Kralik D, Costi L, Marshall H. Influenza vaccination during pregnancy: A systematic review of fetal death, spontaneous abortion, and congenital malformation safety outcomes. Vaccine. 2015;33(18):2108-17.
(23) Bratton KN, Wardle MT, Orenstein WA, Omer SB. Maternal influenza immunization and birth outcomes of stillbirth and spontaneous abortion: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60(5):e11-9.
(24) Chambers CD, Johnson DL, Xu R, Luo YJ, Louik C, Mitchell AA, et al. Safety of the 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13, and 2013–14 seasonal influenza vaccines in pregnancy: Birth defects, spontaneous abortion, preterm delivery, and small for gestational age infants, a study from the cohort arm of VAMPSS. Vaccine. 2016;34(37):4443-9.
(25) Zerbo O, Modaressi S, Chan B, Goddard K, Lewis N, Bok K, et al. No association between influenza vaccination during pregnancy and adverse birth outcomes. Vaccine. 2017;35(24):3186-90.
(26) Branch DW. Physiologic adaptations of pregnancy. Am J Reprod Immunol. 1992;28(3-4):120-2.
(27) Jamieson D, Theiler R, Rasmussen S. Emerging infections and pregnancy. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12(11):1638-43.
(28) Robinson DP, Klein SL. Pregnancy and pregnancy-associated hormones alter immune responses and disease pathogenesis. Horm Behav. 2012;62(3):263-71
(29) McHugh L, Marshall HS, Perrett KP, Nolan T, Wood N, Lambert SB, et al. The safety of influenza and pertussis vaccination in pregnancy in a cohort of Australian mother-infant pairs, 2012–2015: The FluMum Study. Clin Infect Dis. 2019;68(3):402-8.
(30) Huang Q. Key findings - SHIVERS. New Zealand Influenza Symposium; 2016 November 2; Wellington, New Zealand. Auckland: The Immunisation Advisory Centre; 2017.
(31) Bithell JF, Draper GJ, Gorbach PD. Association between malignant disease in children and maternal virus infections. Br Med J. 1973;1(5855):706.
(32) Bennet R, Hamrin J, Wirgart BZ, Ostlund MR, Ortqvist A, Eriksson M. Influenza epidemiology among hospitalized children in Stockholm, Sweden 1998–2014. Vaccine. 2016;34(28):3298-302.
(33) Henninger ML, Irving SA, Thompson M, Avalos LA, Ball SW, Shifflett P, et al. Factors associated with seasonal influenza vaccination in pregnant women. J Womens Health. 2015;24(5):394-402.
(34) Wilson RJ, Paterson P, Jarrett C, Larson HJ. Understanding factors influencing vaccination acceptance during pregnancy globally: A literature review. Vaccine. 2015;33(47):6420-9.
(35) Yuen CYS, Tarrant M. Determinants of uptake of influenza vaccination among pregnant women – A systematic review. Vaccine. 2014;32(36):4602-13.
(36) Meharry PM, Colson ER, Grizas AP, Stiller R, Vázquez M. Reasons why women accept or reject the trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine (TIV) during pregnancy. Matern Child Health J. 2013;17(1):156-64.
(37) Madhi SA, Cutland CL, Kuwanda L, Weinberg A, Hugo A, Jones S, et al. Influenza vaccination of pregnant women and protection of their infants. N Engl J Med. 2014;371(10):918-31.
(38) Benowitz I, Esposito DB, Gracey KD, Shapiro ED, Vazquez M. Influenza vaccine given to pregnant women reduces hospitalization due to influenza in their infants. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;51(12):1355-61.
(39) Jamieson DJ, Kissin DM, Bridges CB, Rasmussen SA. Benefits of influenza vaccination during pregnancy for pregnant women. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012;207(Suppl 3):S17-20.
(40) Nunes MC, Cutland CL, Jones S, et al. Duration of infant protection against influenza illness conferred by maternal immunization: Secondary analysis of a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Pediatrics. 2016;170(9):840-7.
(41) Shakib JH, Korgenski K, Presson AP, Sheng X, Varner MW, Pavia AT, et al. Influenza in infants born to women vaccinated during pregnancy. Pediatrics. 2016;137(6):e20152360.
(42) van Santen KL, Bednarczyk RA, Adjaye- Gbewonyo D, Orenstein WA, Davis R, Omer SB. Effectiveness of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in infants by maternal influenza vaccination status. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013;32(11):1180-4.
(43) The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Influenza vaccination during pregnancy [Internet]. Washington: The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; 2018 [updated 2018 April; cited 2020 November 6]. Available from: https://www.acog.org/Clinical- Guidance-and-Publications/Committee-Opinions/ Committee-on-Obstetric-Practice/Influenza- Vaccination-During-Pregnancy
(44) Regan AK, de Klerk N, Moore HC, Omer SB, Shellam G, Effler PV. Effectiveness of seasonal trivalent influenza vaccination against hospital-attended acute respiratory infections in pregnant women: A retrospective cohort study. Vaccine. 2016;34(32):3649-56.
(45) Thompson MG, Kwong JC, Regan AK, Katz MA, Drews SJ, Azziz-Baumgartner E, et al. Influenza vaccine effectiveness in preventing influenza- associated hospitalizations during pregnancy: A multi-country retrospective test negative design study, 2010-2016. Clin Infect Dis. 2019;68(9):1444‑53.
(46) Thompson MG, Li D-K, Shifflett P, Sokolow LZ, Ferber JR, Kurosky S, et al. Effectiveness of seasonal trivalent influenza vaccine for preventing influenza virus illness among pregnant women: A population-based case-control study during the 2010–2011 and 2011–2012 influenza seasons. Clin Infect Dis. 2014;58(4):449-57.
(47) Rondy M, El Omeiri N, Thompson MG, Leveque A, Moren A, Sullivan SG. Effectiveness of influenza vaccines in preventing severe influenza illness among adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis of test-negative design case-control studies. J Infect. 2017;75(5):381-94.
(48) Steinhoff MC, Omer SB, Roy E, Arifeen SE, Raqib R, Altaye M, et al. Influenza immunization in pregnancy – Antibody responses in mothers and infants. N Engl J Med. 2010;362(17):1644-6.
(49) Chambers CD, Xu R, Mitchell AA. Commentary on: “Association of spontaneous abortion with receipt of inactivated influenza vaccine containing H1N1pdm09 in 2010–11 and 2011–12”. Vaccine. 2017;35(40):5323-4
(50) Donahue JG, Kieke BA, King JP, DeStefano F, Mascola MA, Irving SA, et al. Association of spontaneous abortion with receipt of inactivated influenza vaccine containing H1N1pdm09 in 2010–11 and 2011–12. Vaccine. 2017;35(40):5314- 22.
(51) Sperling SR, Riley EL. Influenza vaccination, pregnancy safety, and risk of early pregnancy loss. Obstet Gynecol. 2018;131(5):799-802.
(52) Sukumaran L, McCarthy NL, Kharbanda EO, Vazquez-Benitez G, Lipkind HS, Jackson L, et al. Infant hospitalizations and mortality after maternal vaccination. Pediatrics. 2018;141(3):e20173310.