Ordering and storage
|Influenza vaccine brand||Influenza vaccine eligibility by brand|
AFLURIA® QUAD JUNIOR
Ordering needles for influenza vaccines
The AFLURIA® QUAD JUNIOR, AFLURIA® QUAD and FLUAD® QUAD vaccines for 2021 will be supplied without needles.
- Seqirus has ordered adequate supplies of needles to support the influenza immunisation programme.
- Needles will be able to be purchased separately from EBOS or pharmacy wholesalers.
- The needles will be available to order from 15 March and will be distributed in the lead up to the programme start date.
- There will be two different needles for AFLURIA® QUAD JUNIOR, AFLURIA® QUAD and FLUAD® QUAD.
- The pharmacodes for each will be supplied at the same time as the ordering details.
Influenza vaccine ordering is handled by Healthcare Logistics (HCL).
Online (preferred option [except for AFLURIA® QUAD JUNIOR#, registration required): www.hcl.co.nz
Fax order form to: 0508 408 358*
*Faxed and emailed orders may incur a $10 handling fee.
Enquiries can be made by calling: 0508 425 358
Cost of the influenza vaccine
The vaccines cost $9.00 (excl. GST) per dose. For people eligible for funded influenza vaccine, the vaccine is free (i.e. no vaccine cost and no administration service cost to the person). General practices and some pharmacies can claim for the cost of the vaccine and the immunisation benefit for administration of a funded influenza vaccine to an eligible individual via the usual Sector Services process.
Note: Claims can only be made when the vaccine is given during the funded Influenza Immunisation Programme, from 14 April 2021 through 31 December 2021.
Influenza vaccine is still available following the funded period, however, all patients will have to pay for it.
How much is the immunisation subsidy?
- General practices: $22.57 (excl. GST)
- Community pharmacies: $20.66 (excl. GST)
Order and delivery charges
- Faxed or emailed orders may incur a manual order processing fee of $10 per order.
- Orders for AFLURIA® QUAD or FLUAD® QUAD that are less than the minimum quantity of described in the table below will incur a $25 small order delivery fee.
- Orders for AFLURIA® QUAD JUNIOR will incur a $25 small order delivery fee if they are not added to an AFLURIA® QUAD or FLUAD® QUAD order that meets the minimum quantity.
Minimum and maximum order requirements
The minimum order requirements for AFLURIA® QUAD and FLUAD® QUAD are as follows
AFLURIA® QUAD and FLUAD® QUAD
Minimum order quantities
Order requirements for AFLURIA® QUAD JUNIOR
AFLURIA® QUAD JUNIOR does not have minimum order quantities and has a maximum order quantity of 10 doses. Order by email to [email protected]. Orders may need to be approved by the Ministry of Health before being filled.
Polystyrene chilly bins
To reduce wastage when ordering, please consider your expected usage. You will be asked to order in full bin quantities for initial orders of FLUAD® QUAD:
A small bin holds 60 doses, the medium chilly bin used in the South Island holds 80 doses whereas the medium bin used in the North Island holds 100 doses, a large bin holds 200 doses, and the extra-large bin used for North Island customers only holds 300 doses.
Chilly bins can be reused:
- In Auckland and Christchurch, bins and fill can be collected by HCL couriers when they are dropping off the next delivery.
- In Whangarei, Hamilton, Palmerston North, Wellington, Nelson and Dunedin, providers can either drop the bin off or courier it to ProPharma for recycling. If bins are sent by courier, providers will need to arrange and pay for the courier. It is not necessary to phone ProPharma in advance.
Influenza vaccine stock damaged in transit
Influenza vaccine damaged in transit may be returned to Healthcare Logistics for destruction. Please contact Healthcare Logistics 0508 425 358 before returning.
The shelf life of the influenza vaccine
All influenza vaccines are marked with an expiry date that should be checked before vaccine administration.
The vaccines must be stored between +2°C and +8°C at all times. They must not be frozen.
Temperature-monitored chilly bins must be used if vaccines are temporarily stored outside the vaccine refrigerator or being transported. Refer to the National Standards for Vaccine Storage and Transportation for Immunisation Providers 2017 (2nd Edition) (available at www.health.govt.nz/coldchain).
If vaccines have been stored outside the required temperature range, quarantine the vaccines and contact your Immunisation/Cold Chain Coordinator.
Temperature logging devices
A temperature logging device and instructions may be included with your order.
Refunds for unused/expired funded influenza vaccine
Funded influenza vaccines
- Please ensure you continue to have influenza vaccine stock available until 31 December for those who are eligible for influenza vaccination.
- One refund will be available for up to a total of 10 doses of unused AFLURIA® QUAD and/or 10 doses of unused FLUAD® QUAD and/or one dose of unused AFLURIA® QUAD JUNIOR.