The 2020 funded Influenza Immunisation Programme runs from 18 March through 31 December in 2020
- Purchased influenza vaccination became available for the general public who are aged 3 years or older from Monday 27 April.
- Important: Influenza vaccination for children aged 6–35 months (AFLURIA® QUAD JUNIOR) is currently available for children with a condition eligible to receive funded influenza vaccination.
Eligibility criteria for FREE seasonal influenza vaccination for 2020:
Pregnant women (any trimester)
People aged 65 years and older
People aged under 65 years with any of the medical conditions listed below
Children aged 4 years or under who have been hospitalised for respiratory illness or have a history of significant respiratory illness
List of eligible conditions for funded influenza vaccine
Funded influenza vaccine is available each year for people who meet the following criteria set by PHARMAC:
1. People 65 years of age or older; or
2. People under 65 years of age who:
3. Children aged 4 years or under who have been hospitalised for respiratory illness or have a history of significant respiratory illness, including:
Unless meeting the criteria set out above, the following conditions are excluded from funding:
Also refer to the New Zealand Pharmaceutical Schedule on the PHARMAC website www.pharmac.govt.nz/tools-resources/pharmaceutical-schedule/community
|#Influenza vaccination precaution
Influenza vaccination may be contraindicated or need to be delayed for people receiving some new cancer treatments. Please read the information under Contraindications and precautions to receiving influenza vaccine on page 16 of the Flu Kit Booklet 2020 for people receiving atezolizumab (TECENTRIQ®), ipilimumab (YERVOY®), nivolumab (OPDIVO®) and pembrolizumab (KEYTRUDA®) and contact the person’s oncologist or 0800 IMMUNE (0800 466 863) for current advice about influenza vaccination for these people BEFORE administering the vaccine.
a. Chronic respiratory diseases may include: chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cystic fibrosis, emphysema.
The funded vaccines for 2020 are:
- INFLUVAC® TETRA or AFLURIA® QUAD – for adults and children aged 3 years or older
- AFLURIA® QUAD JUNIOR – for children aged under 3 years, i.e. 6–35 months
Note: The non-funded influenza vaccine for 2020 is:
INFLUVAC® TETRA (SAISON 2019/2020) – for adults and children aged 3 years or older